Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Write a love letter to your child

Through all of the challenging times when I have wanted to just throw my hands up to God and say “HELP ME,” there have probably been an equal amount of times when I could not imagine what my life would be like if I did not have my son.

A few weeks ago, as I lay in bed with my child to help him get to sleep, I looked at his angelic face. He seemed so peaceful. I started thinking about how my life has changed since he’s become a member of our family.

I thought to myself how if only he knew exactly how much he meant to me, perhaps it could somehow make a difference. I wanted to communicate to him, so that he’d know, how much I love him.

Sure, we tell our children we love them and show them in little ways, but do they really know? Our children know that we are here to improve their lives and give them unconditional love. But, I’m not so sure we often think about the value they bring into our lives.

I immediately went to my computer to write a love letter to him. I wanted to share with him verbally; give him specific examples, something tangible that would relay to him that it wasn’t just a one way street. He has improved my life as well.

Because of him, I have a better relationship with God. I make a conscious effort to stay physically fit (to keep up with him), and I am not afraid to be a kid again. I am more patient and compassionate. I’ve learned to slow down a bit and enjoy life. Did I save his life or did he save mine?

The next morning when he woke up I informed him that I had written him a letter and asked him to read it. He wanted me to read it to him instead, so I did. When I finished, I looked up at his face and tears were streaming down it. He looked at me and told me that he too loved me very much and gave me a really big hug.

It was one of the most powerful moments I have ever experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.