Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Reactive Attachment Disorder (Part I)

Reactive Attachment Disorder has been around for quite some time; however there seem to be a lot of parents who remain bewildered (understandably so) with regards to helping their children. Some of the journals I have read have done a great job providing the definition and diagnosis of RAD, but few offer detailed treatment plans – other than therapy - that parents can follow.

I cannot recount the multiple situations our family was faced with in which I did not know how to react. Frustration, anger, sadness and hopelessness were feelings I had on a daily basis. It wasn't always easy to get through to the loving little boy I knew.

Last year I came across the book, Children: the Challenge by Rudolf Dreikurs, M.D. This is an outstanding book! The author not only describes scenarios for various challenging day-to-day situations, but he offers ideas on what to actually do.

Another reason this book is so great is because it forces parents to look at their own behaviors and attitudes when interacting during adverse situations. It really opened my eyes to what I was doing wrong and how I might have contributed in escalating the problem. Just like my child had no experience in how to cope with certain circumstances, I realized nor did I.

I highly recommend this book. If you want less stress, then this book is an absolute must read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.